In our modern sneakerverse, the term “collaboration” gets thrown around a little too casually.
Some swoosh based collabs are little more than a subtle colour change.
Some swoosh based collabs are considered mind blaaasting if they reverse the placement of a swoosh.
While this may sound like salty banter from a recipient of Travis Scott based L’s, it isn’t because true collaborations should offer something new and innovative.
Take for example the LeBron X John Elliot Icon collaboration.
Based off of the Nike LeBron 8 tooling, John Elliot goes far beyond splashing a new hue. And yes, that’s shots fired at other so-called collaborations with a colour swap and name co-sign.
John Elliot creates an entirely new upper that successfully melds two seemingly incompatible realms; one part hardcore basketball origin and the other part fashion forward runway sneaker.
In terms of fit, I’d recommend going true to size. Perhaps a half size up if you have wide feet as the upper is made from a non-stretchable synthetic.
Like a David Bowie judged Zoolander walk off, here is a Fast And Furious rundown of the pros and cons of the LeBron X John Elliot Icon.
- Blue Steel appearance. Basketball DNA paired perfectly with a fashion inspired translucent upper.
- Very comfortable midsole. Full-length air makes you wonder why some say Boost is Life.
- Jessie J Price Tag at the retail level, but much lower purchase price when checking out.
- Perfect shoe for flexing your sock game.
- Surprisingly breathable upper.
- Icon status, yet readily available if you know where to look.
- Sick colourways. Both black and beige colourways tickle the sneaker feels.
- Unique creation in a world of rehashed Jays.
- If you ever need a pair of hoop shoes for Fashion Week, this might be the pair. Chilling with Ed Sheeran and the beautiful people front row at the fashion show.
- Not going to try, and unless you are PJ Tucker, this pair of kicks probably doesn’t have a supportive enough upper to hoop in.
- The translucent tongue does not offer much padding. The second and third lace eyelets from the top need to be worn a bit loosely in order to avoid a pressure point on the bridge of the ankle.
- Jessie J Price Tag at retail.
- Need to wear decent socks or you will feel exposed.
- Feet may feel cold as a winter shoe.
- Over availability probably hurt sales. Too available = no- hype.
- Not-so-sick-colourways. Pink reminds me of a Pepto-Bismal infused Pink Panther.
- Sometimes being too unique can be ostracizing. Not everyone wants to stand out.
- Keep it real. You are not receiving an invite to Fashion Week. That’s not who we are.
LeBron X John Elliot Icon…….. Making collabs great again!