The Nike Air Force 270 is a low hype, yet retina popping silhouette, that combines characteristics of the Air Force 180 with the new Air Max 270.
Individually, the Air Force 180 and current offerings of the Air Max 270 have not warranted enough interest for me to make a retail purchase.
However, like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the formal amalgamation of two distinct silhouettes have caused some bread to be spent, no crust spared.
Shout out to Rod at Richmond Nike for fielding my gamut of questions on this Nike Air Force 270 pick up.
Here are 9 reasons why the Nike Air Force 270 should be considered for sneaker of the year.
1. Aesthetically, this silhouette is absolutely stunning; successfully combining old school tech with new school tech. Air Force 180 front + Air Max 270 rear = Business in the front, party in the back.
2. The Air Max 270 unit feels (Insert Nacho Libre voice here) pretty dang good. It’s not your typical Nike Air unit. It offers a slight bounce, and is a comfortable all day cushioning set up.
3. It rides high, yet is very stable on foot. Usually a sneaker that rides high is a recipe for instability, but the Air Force 270 counteracts this design caveat with an exceptionally large surface area foot print.
4. It has excellent design features such as the magnetic forefoot strap, a neoprene bootie upper, and safari print. Insert Homer voice, “Mmmmm, safari.”
5. It’s not a re-released retro sneaker. This is something new and innovative.
6. The Air Force 270 is on the low hype tip. It’s a subtle flex that is available if you look, but not a mall shoe too easily accessible at every Mom and Pop sneaker shop. Also, resellers have no interest in this sneaker.
7. This sneaker silhouette is uniquely loud and proud. It’s a stand out sneaker that might invoke a “What are thoooose?” from your sneaker homies.
8. There are a plethora of colourways coming soon. There should be a desirable colourway to suit almost any sneakerhead.
9. The Air Force 270 is a versatile silhouette that you can dress up or down depending on your desired fashion goal.
So with nine solid reasons advocating for the Nike Air Force 270 to be sneaker of the year, why is there a question mark in the title of this entry? Why is the Air Force 270 not a grand slam sneaker of the year?
Here’s why. See the toe box picture below.
Of all the places to skimp on the use of quality materials, Nike skimped on the toe box. I’m not sure if this is a synthetic leather or not, but it’s definitely not premium or aesthetically pleasing after it has been worn.
If the Nike Air Force 270 had either a suede, tumbled leather, or denim finished toe box, this sneaker would unequivocally be sneaker of the year. Even calling it sneaker of the year as early as March would not be too bold of a claim to make.