On Kanye West’s track So Appalled, Jay-Z infamously rapped
I went from the favorite to the most hated
Or would you rather be underpaid or overrated?
Just hypothesizing and going out on a limb, but most sneakerheads don’t mind having overrated kicks, especially if their recognition and props directly correlates with the level of amplified hype.
Take most releases of the Air Jordan 1 high for example. Slap on a new colourway, make the leather premium (aka the same quality as most companies’ GR quality), limit supply, create an average associated storyline, and voila; an instant sellout.
If you’re like Gwen Stefani, you’ve probably thought to yourself
Few times I’ve been down that track
So it’s not just going to happen like that
Cause I ain’t no hollaback sneakerheadSneaker Gwen
If you’re an old timer like me, you’ve probably hollaback(ed) at your fair share of Jays. Sometimes my voice gets tired from all that hollaback(ing) and I want to participate in a little sneaker fronting and maxing in something different and underrated.
And when I do want something underrated, I lace up my Karhu Aria.
Sizing and fit information:
Half size up is recommended. The width of the Karhu Aria is accommodating, but the heel to toe transition slightly slopes and places the weight in the forefoot of the shoe.
The heel counter could use slightly more padding, but does a good job securing your heel when walking.
Here are six reasons why I fancy the Karhu Aria.
- Comfort is king (or queen). For an old school pair of kicks, this pair is very comfortable.
- Quality is Ace in a market saturated with Jokers. Suede quality is excellent for a general release.
- Anonymity is comforting. I can walk down the hallway without students calling out every Internet named colourway of my Jays.
- The MRSP is reasonable at 170 CAD ($130 USD). The sale price is even better! No hype means availability for all.
- This silhouette is sleek and matches most of my khakis with minimal fashion coordination.
- Diversity is good. How cool would Shattered Backboard 1s really be if everybody had access to a pair?
Would you rather underpay for your kicks or spend on overrated kicks?